Freakonomics. Serial. This American Life. Did you know these are some of the hottest podcasts? Did you know there are popular podcasts for data management professionals?
While they may not be as well-known as Missing Richard Simmons (a current hit show), there’s a growing number of recurring audio programs for people who enjoy all things data. But first, some fun facts about podcasting.
According to Edison Research’s most recent The Infinite Dial report, podcasting continues to grow as 40% of Americans age 12 or older say they have listened to a podcast, with 24% saying they listened to one in the past month. This is up from 21% a year ago. And six in 10 Americans are now familiar with the term “podcasting,” a 22% increase from two years ago.
If you haven’t experienced podcasts, we think you’re missing out on a fun and flexible — as in, you can listen to one during your commute or while working out or re-arranging your office — to keep current. If you’re a data management professional (and you probably are if you’re reading this post), industry-focused podcasts offer a great way to stay connected and current. (Sidenote: We’re big fans of professional development and recently featured our data governance training here.)
Need suggestions for which shows to download to your podcast catcher? Here are some of the data management podcasts the First San Francisco Partners team enjoys listening to:
- Raw Data by Worldview Stanford – Bills itself as a podcast about the true cost of digital disruption. Recent episodes include Data Confidential (on data privacy and ethics) and The Big Data of Nature (can Big Data ease climate change and habitat loss).
- Talking Data Podcast by TechTarget – Features short episodes about trends in software practices for Big Data management and business analytics. Two to check out: Data Warehouses, Hadoop Get Cloud Happy and Tackling the Problem of Fake News With Artificial Intelligence.
- The Present Beyond Measure™ Show – “At the intersection of analytics, data visualization and digital analytics” you can find episodes like What Practical Storytelling With Data Actually Means and Analytics Analogies for Complex Concepts.
- Data Skeptic – Perspectives on data science and our data-driven world; two episodes we enjoyed recently: Data Science at Patreon and The Data Refuge Project.
- Data Stories – Another “data-viz” podcast with episodes that include VizKidz: Books on Data Visualization for Kids and Data Ethics and Privacy.
Are you a data management podcast fan, too? Let us know your favorite shows in the comments section — or do a Twitter shout-out on a favorite episode, and tag @1stSanFrancisco so we can check it out. “Bonus points” if you add the #trypod tag listeners are using to help raise the awareness of podcasting.